Monday, March 24, 2008

Flying through Liquid Skies

Whenever someone asks me what one super power I could have, it was always Flying.

The most common question I get when someone finds out I was a Pole Vaulter: WHY POLE VAULTING of all sports?
My answer? It's the closest I'll ever get to flying.

And then someone asked me what I like most about scuba diving:
It's the closest I'll ever get to flying.

And you'll probably get the same answer when you ask a wakeboarder, a surfer, a gymnast, and maybe even a dancer. What is with my obsession with it? It's not like I ever wanted to be a pilot or an astronaut.

To explain it would probably be as difficult a surfer explaining the feeling of "Stoked". That's for a different blog altogether. Although maybe it is the same feeling. I don't know.

I just enjoy the feeling of going against obvious laws of Physics, or being in the air, even for a split second. With scuba diving, it's a very trippy feeling to be gliding over caverns, scaling 100ft walls of corals and fish, and just floating in infinite blue space. "Liquid skies" is the best term for it.

I had just came from an amazing dive trip at Apo Reef in Occidental Mindoro where we interrupted the underwater world and took a peak at the millions of species living in perfect harmony under the ocean surface. From green sea turtles to white tip reef sharks, to tuna much bigger than myself, it was yet another overwhelming experience to be down there. I truly love the feeling of flying through the liquid skies with them, in a world very far from my own, where you are totally vulnerable in the arms of Mother Nature herself.

Yesterday I went to mass on my own cuz it was easter and my parents were expecting me to go. I went into the very packed church (in my post-beach, post-12hour-travel attire) and stood in the crowd for about 10 uncomfortable minutes. I ended up stepping out and spending time in the chapel where they keep the exposed Blessed Sacrament. I always preferred that place in the church. So there I sat on my own, in complete silence, saying a very sincere THANK YOU to God for simply putting me on this earth, giving me a chance to witness the limitless wonders of His creation.

No comments: