Monday, April 13, 2009

Holy Week 2009

Summer yet again in the Philippine Islands. For those in school it means 2 months of freedom-- time to go to the beach and do everything we've been wanting to do. For us at work, it just means it's gonna be a HOT day.

But one thing I appreciate most about living in this Catholic-driven society is Holy Week. The 4-day weekend that allows almost everyone to take a break and enjoy 4 days of leisure. To the traditional Catholics it entails the usual rituals -- Visita Iglesia (visiting 7 Churches), walking the Stations of the Cross, fasting or abstinence, Confession, and of course Mass. In the states Easter is the time for the Easter Egg hunt. What that has to do with Jesus' resurrection, I can't begin to figure out.

But for the non-traditional types like myself, Holy Week means 4 days of freedom. Its a weekend where you can make a long trip to wherever and do whatever. Unfortunately, because the ENTIRE country is on holiday as well, these 4 days have turned into the absolute WORST 4 days of the year to travel. All resorts and flights are fully booked, not to mention very expensive. Just last Thurs, going to Subic took the average traveller 6.5 hours, thats 4 times the usual time of 2 hours. What can you do when you have a line of cars at the SCTEX toll gate reaching a record-breaking 2KM?

I began making plans for Holy Week as early as Feb with my friends. No surprise however, plans didn't push thru. I ended up making some last minute plans with my family to either Sagada or Pagudpud. Those didn't push thru either. I really wanted to make the most out of the weekend.

I had a great weekend nonetheless. As early as Wed night, I tagged along with friends to Subic. Ended up staying there all the way til Friday, where I got to surf in a pristine, empty line-up spot in Zamba -- the most beautiful spot I've surfed to date. Friday night I hopped on a bus back to Manila to make it to the family trip to Caliraya the next day.

And so I spent the holy weekend in Caliraya. What was supposed to be a daytrip turned into another overnight trip for me. (For some reason I like to stay away from Manila as much as I can... I still haven't figured out completely what that says about me.) Spent 2 days lounging around in the 24/7 breeze, had another go at windsurfing, and simply being there.

Instead of taking one long trip this year, I took 2 short but oh-so-sweet trips. I did everything I love to do, and the best part was that I spent less than P1000 for the whole week. Not bad for an unplanned week.

As we prayed as a family on the way to Cali, I just had to say it.. "Thank you Lord for the gift of Holy Week." (In a bitter Catholic way to say it, "Thank you Lord for suffering and dying on the Cross so that we have Holy Week")

But I didn't mean it that way, I'm just thankful for Holy Week.

No comments: