Thursday, January 14, 2010

Checkers

Just when I thought the dreams of Checkers were over, it happened again last night.

I dreamt that we found him in some country club, and he was with a maid.. and I recognized him as soon as I held him.. my family was there.. we even checked his belly for stitch scars from his pancreatic operation years ago.. and he was alive.. and I wanted to take him home again.. and then there were people telling me that would be stealing.. and this old lady said that he belonged to someone else, and that it was my fault he got lost.. that I didnt know what I was doing back then.. and I remember screaming at the old lady explaining to her that he was MY dog and was stolen years ago and she has no right to tell me I can't get him back.. and so my sister took Checkers and brought him to the car.. I remember the guards of the place checking my stuff before exiting the premises.. but we managed to get Checkers safely into the car.. to be with us once again.. I remember feeling relieved because I had almost lost hope.. I knew in my dreams that I had dreamt of that moment repeatedly and now it was finally coming true.. He was alive and coming home to us again....

... and then I woke up.

It's amazing how a pet can make such a lasting impact on your life. Checkers was my first pet, a "lhasang shit" that we got back in 1995.. only to be stolen one day from outside our house in 2005. I still haven't cried as much as I did that night.

No comments: